Saturday 17 May 2014

Pondering the Perfect Post-Purchase Packaging



Whilst there can be no doubt that major corporations like supermarkets spend millions of pounds and thousands of hours studying the psychological effect of their branding and packaging, it’s fair to say that the bag or box you get to take your purchases home in generally comes across as something on which far less effort has been spent. After all, why spend more time and money worrying about that when you’ve already had somebody’s custom (and cash) and they’re about to leave your store? For most shops, a plastic bag is a disposable vehicle for transporting your goods home. And, as for the oft-quoted ‘fact’ that a plastic bag takes a thousand years to biodegrade, I general find I’m prone to question that claim when the bag I acquired barely ten minutes ago has already disintegrated and left my weekly food shop as an amorphous mess on the floor next to the bus stop.

True, luxury brands will give their customers some flashy packaging so they can show off to their shallow friends that they’ve just spend £800 on a pair of pants but I never get the feeling that those companies have really put any more effort into it, just a bit more money.

So that’s why it’s always refreshing to find a company who put as much effort into their packaging as they do into the product. It’s like they’re seeing the whole process through to the end rather than abandoning it as soon as they can see the finishing line. And it gives the welcome impression that, although they’ve already got your money, they still care about you. So, here are three of my favourite items of packaging that I’ve received recently…

Kurt Geiger Shoe Box

I’ve genuinely bought shoes where the boxes outlived the shoes that came in them. Who doesn’t love a shoe box? Just think of all the things you can put in them. But, after having bought a pair of boots last year that had begun to disintegrate after barely six months I decided to go for a quality new pair and so bought some of Kurt Geiger’s Brando Chelsea boots. Yes, the boots were excellent – so good in fact that I’ve just been wearing them around the house as I don’t want to get them dirty – but look at the box! It’s silver! It’s a work of art in itself. I was tempted to not even take the boots out and spend a few more days walking around with them in the box. Truly, there is love in this box. Sure, I’ll end up keeping bits and pieces in it but only bits and pieces of the very highest quality.

Drop Dead Bag Thing

I can’t remember if the t-shirts I bought at Drop Dead, just off Carnaby Street, actually came in this or if I was given it as a freebie but whichever it was it’s still pretty damned good. Actually, I think it may be an iPad case but, not having one, I use it to keep my copy of Alan Moore’s Watchmen in until such a day that a take the leap and buy a tablet.
 
Religion Bag

Look at this one. Environmentally friendly, too, as if I’m just going to the local shops I can (and do) take this out rather than get yet another plastic bag. Whilst it’s possible that there are uncivilised parts of the country where a man might get odd looks for using one of these I know for a fact that it’s safe within at least a one-mile radius of Kingsland Road.

No comments:

Post a Comment